Monday, March 25, 2013

Still Fairing!

Not much to post... I have been spending the last 2 weekends fairing.  On my last post, I showed a couple of pictures of my spot applied fairing mix.  Unfortunately, I did not add enough catalyzer and the mix did not fully harden.  When I tried to sand it off, the mix gummed up the sandpaper.  I had read that if you spray with soapy water, the resin would not adheare to the sandpaper.  It worked, but what a mess.  Since the actual defect areas were small and this is not a structural issue, the fairing that remained was mostly okay.  I have now placed another coat of primer and will take one more stab at any remaining defects.   I will concentrate on the areas that will not be covered with non-skid.  The non-skid should cover any of the minor defects remaining.  Trust me, at this point they are barely noticable now.

Look ahead.

My plan is to apply a 2-part Interlux paint to the raised cabin top and stern extension first part of April.  I will then dry fit the new windows and start working my way down.  I will permenately bed them in, once I am ready to apply the vinyl wall covering I purchased to go on the inside. 

I have also decided to remove the existing windows, paint the aluminum trim black to match the new windows, rebed the glass and reinstall after the surrounding area is painted. 

My new trampoline net came in last week.  That will likely be one of the last things to get installed.  My boat arch is being fabricated now, but I would like to get the stern extension painted prior to installation.  Hopefully my next update will include some pictures of my painted raised cabin top!  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment