Friday, June 15, 2012

Filled in the Hole!

Today I made some progress toward filling in the hole from the companion way hatch and extending the roof.

I bought 2 - 24"x48" sheets of 1/2" balsa and cut to fit.



Notice I finally cut off the hatch rails and sanded the existing roof.




This is the underside of the roof extension.  Used temporary rafters to support the balsa.  In restrospect, I should have used a piece of luan to bridge the gaps between the rafters.  I think the balsa drooped slightly between.  Oh well that will get taken care of in fairing!




 The blue tape was just to stop any resin from leaking.



This is the underside of the companion way hatch hole.  I decided to at the mat and cloth in order to raise the balsa in line with the existing balsa.



Cut out the 1.5 oz. mat















Then the 7 oz cloth. 

Then the wet out.  Ended up using 2 alternating layers of each fiberglass.


I purposely left the curved piece of wood aft high in order to stop water from dripping.  Will likely form a gutter along the edge of the top as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment