Sunday, September 29, 2013

Still Working the Interior

Its been a couple of weeks since my last post.  Mostly working on the interior.  Here is a video I decided to take.


Here are a few pictures as well in case the video doesn't work.


This is the liner I recently installed.  I tore it out last week and replaced it with a liner that had 1/4" foam backing since it hides the imperfections of the fiberglass.













This is a picture of the new liner.
















A picture while the port side of the roof liner was being installed.  You can see the backing I added for the pad eye on the roof.













Starboard side liner in progress.  The cut in the liner was necessary to allow it to conform to the curved roof.














A close up.  A piece of teak trim will cover the gap.

















I've been planning ahead toward the running rigging.  So I decided to plot the layout of all of the lines.  I also started toying with adding a self-tacking jib (100%) complemented with a genaker/screecher on a bow sprit. Since I was considering the self-tacking jib, it would be necessary to lay a track on the cabin roof.  This stalled my headliner installation, but I decided to keep it moving until I make a final decision.  Based on the diagram above, most lines will run to a Enkes 18 (2-speed) winch.  The Main Halyard and S.T. Jib Sheet can optionally be diverted to the Harken 40ST winch, which is primarily to serve the genoa sheet.  It is a tight fit, but I laid out the winches on the roof today, to make sure there would be clearance with the winch handles.





I kind of got excited about the self-tacking jib setup, so I went to the local boat salvage store and picked up a 7' piece of track for $15.  Can't go wrong with that, plus they have a 30-day return policy.  I also picked up a Lewmar traveller car for $26 and and 2 end stops for $1!

The track will need to bend to conform to the roof.  It actually bends pretty good, but I thought I would try and pre-bend it by adding a batter to the middle.















I also decided to fabricate a tilted base for the track.  I used a piece of 1.5"x1.5" plastic lumber that I purchased for my swim step.  I cut it at an angle that resulted in these two pieces.  I then used my router to put a radius on two edges.



























Here is the rest of the plastic lumber waiting for the swim step and arch seat.




















Since I don't want the base of for the track to be teak color, I decided to paint it using the "Fusion" spray paint made for plastic.  I put on several very light coats.  But I was still able to scratch the paint off.  At this point, I am going to order an 8' piece of white plastic lumber.
























I re-installed the Teak V-trim a little forward of where it originally sat in order to make room for any lines from the track and self-tacking jib sheet to pass.  Refer back to diagram above.

The other reason for adding the plastic lumber base is to be able to accommodate the ridge in the center of the roof.  I will need to shave off some of the bottom of the base.



I think that is it for now!









No comments:

Post a Comment