Saturday, December 13, 2014

Outboard Problem Solved??????

After having the outboards gone through by the marine mechanic, and re-installing them, I was still having issues.  I finally decided to scrap fuel tank and hoses.  Today I replaced the 24 gallon tank with a 6 gallon tank and new hoses.


This is what I found when I started draining the 10 micron fuel filter.  It didn't look like this when the filter was full.  I don't know if this is fuel water separation of phase separation.  You can also see some "crud" in the lower right corner. I would have thought that the 10 micron filter coupled with the outboard filter would "catch" all of the solids.  When I would open my carb, I usually found a congealed substance.  I think the fuel has been my issue all along.  Time will tell!




4 comments:

  1. It looks like those are old 89-92? Yamaha four strokes I had one of these the rubber tips on the float needle valves melt from the alcohol in the gas if you haven't done so already replace the needle valves and the valve seats if possible. If you cant replace the seat, stab at it with a needle and see if theres any melted rubber in there. I cant remember what I did to clear mine I think I replaced the seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Hakan? I see #174 on your sail in pictures on you blog and the log shows that owned by Hakan Magnusson.

      Delete
  2. Fuel is one of the very first things checked when diagnosing a small engines, You use a small container and run off that to eliminate bad fuel or wash the tank and use fresh fuel. I have 14 small engines currently on various things I own, boats, farm and garden equipment, atvs, motorcycles. etc etc. and have lost count of the ones I have owned in the past. I know my fuel and small engines. That fuel you have there is definitely garbage. I would not buy from where that fuel came from again it looks stained with rusted and loaded with water that is not separation that is contamination, either from your tank or something in line of your fuel system or where ever you bought the fuel from. I have fuel that is a year old that looks clean and clear. Also the water separator\filter you have there is only designed to remove very very small amounts of water, to much and it will just go to the engines and make them run like crap or not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...thanks for the comments. Per my latest blog post, it is now 3 weeks after replacing the tank and fuel and no problems. I am pretty sure it was the tank that had a bunch of crud in it. I replaced the 24 gallon tank with a 6 gallon tank. I don't do any extensive cruising, so hopefully I will go through the E10 Gasloline that is sold here in California rather quickly so it wont attract too much water with such a small tank. 6 gallons should be fine for the day sailing that I do.

    ReplyDelete