Sunday, November 25, 2012

Let there be (Port) Light!

One of the downsides to the Iroquois are the "smallish" berths that without sufficient lighting could be claustrophobic   I wanted to give it a bigger feel by letting in more light.

My first decision was to add port lights to the aft berths looking out onto the cockpit area.  Cutting holes in a boat is always a cause for deliberation.




I decided to place it in the middle fore to aft.   I used the back trim as the template for the cutout.
















Unfortunately that was not right. I needed to use the actual port as a template.  Fortunately it is bigger than the trim.









Just dry fit for now.



I also wanted to add port lights to the exterior.  This required a little more thought as to what else I would put on the outside as well as the paint scheme.  Here is a photoshop rendering of the paint scheme I want to go with.  Dark Navy Blue with a gold pin stripe.



Sailcraft named their different model catamarans after different Indian nations, such as Iroquois, Comanche and Chieftan.  To keep with the theme, I want to utilize the gold pin stripe and create an arrow.  This is a condensed version:


The model of my catamaran is an Iroquois and the model is a MKIIA.  The hull number is 235.





Besides the port lights, I want to relocate the navigation lights to the hull, so I am going with these new LED lights:














And these are the Port Lights.













I want the port lights and the navigation lights to line up with the gold pin stripe.  I decided to locate the pin stripe 6" below the teak rub rail.




I decided to cut out some templates so I could play with their location.












Then I decided to go for it!  Dry fit for now.  I will permanently place them after I paint in a few months.





I like it!




I also decided to add port lights to the interior hulls.













There was not a lot of room to place these as it is just a few inches from the forward storage locker bulkhead.














Starboard Aft Berth area.  Lots of light.















Port Aft Berth.



















Port Forward Berth






























Starboard Aft Berth area.

Next weekend I will move onto fabricating the Helm area.  Hopefully by the end of the year all of the major exterior modification will be in place

No comments:

Post a Comment