Monday, February 4, 2013

Odd and Ends

I am trying to find some direction.  I still have plenty of fixing and fairing to do.  I am thinking that I will put down a prime coat on all of the new fiberglass in March and then follow shortly with the paint.  Until then I need to start contemplating the plumbing and electrical.  I have most if not all of the parts and pieces necessary.  I have another short week after Presidents day and will likely take that week off, pending decent weather.  Until then, here are a few more pictures of some of the odds and ends I have been working on.



Here is the hull extension join area that showed a poor join by the factory.






















And here is a shot of the same area after sanding.  I could still feel a depression, so I took a straight edge and marked the larger area to place more fairing mix.



















These are the 2 thru hull locations at the bathroom that I filled in and faired and sanded twice.  Its is ready for some primer.



















If you remember, I bought 2 stern rails a few months back.  I decided to start dry fitting them.  My first concern was that they would conflict with the back stays.  I don't have a picture, but the back stay passes between the upper and middle rail...Whew!

I also need to straighten that existing stanchion shown on the left.  It leans forward and I want it to stand straight.







The bases on the new stern rail were obviously made for a different boat, so I am in the process of installing a spacer to take up the angle.  I will place some fiberglass mat and fiberglass it to the deck.  Just enough space to allow drainage on the left and clearance for the hatch cover on the right.

















Here is the most aft stanchion base.  I ended up using a piece of the cabin top that I cut off.  The balsa was easy to cut and sand into the shape I needed.

After I fiberglass, prime and paint, I will drill holes straight through and secure with SS bolt, washer and nut.






Here is a shot of the starboard stern after I removed the teak rub rail.  The rub rail was modified to accept the davits that I will no longer use.  It is hard to see here, but there were lots of cracks on the top, so gouged out material at each crack in order to place some fairing mix and smooth out the whole area.  I will not likely replace a rub rail on the stern.  No real purpose other than looks, which had I been able to salvage it, I would have put it back.   I was able to salvage the rub rail on the inside  hull to the left and will reinstall in conjunction with a new swim step.




The port side fared much better, but will still need some attention to make this look nice.

Lots of little things!











Update: February 8, 2013

Raining again today, so I decided to start painting the berth storage areas.


Here is the aft starboard berth storage area.  The copper pipe is the lpg supply to the stove.






BEFORE













I will be putting a 9 gallon HDPE water tank in here for the galley sink.  Looks more sanitary now doesn't it?





                                                             AFTER











It is amazing what a coat of paint can do for the psyche.  Just a small taste of what is to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment