Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Start Prepping for Plumbing

Took the Ericson out for a sail on Sunday, so no work on the Iroq.  Saturday, Yesterday and Today, I spent  filling in nicks, chips and spider cracks in the deck.  I think I just about got it.  Need to do a little more work on the stern where I removed the teak trim and then I will be ready for prime coat next couple of weeks.



One of the things I mentioned that I wanted to do was to level out the base that the existing aft stanchion sat on.  Right now it cants forward.  I want it to be straight to match the new railing I will be installing.















I used my belt sander to level the base out. I did not expect there to be a cavity!












I first filled in the cavity with catalyzed resin and then topped if off with a fairing mix.














Last week, I started painting the berth storage areas, which will be used for water tanks.  This is the port forward berth storage area.



















And after 3 coats of Bilgekote paint!




















Being a bit anal retentive, I don't want to see any wiring, hoses, etc. if I can help it.  I intend on running all plumbing under the floor, so off with the old linoleum!  This is a shot looking down on the bathroom to the left.  The white area is a drain pan.  I intend to drain that forward to an automatic bilge pump.  This whole area will get a few coats of Bilgekote paint.  Started that today.







Interesting what you find under stuff!  I assume this is a lifting ring (made out of rope) that is just fiberglassed in place.  I won't need that, so I cut it off with my angle grinder with cutting wheel.

There were remnants of another one in the storage area just to the right.















Here is another one in the bathroom.  There is one more on the other side of the wall, in the port aft berth area.






















This is a shot of the floor in the port aft berth area.  You can see the other lifting ring.  I am only going to paint the area accessible by the cut out.  The new floor will go right on top of the existing.  I would like to go with a classic teak and holly floor, but I don't want to spend that kind of money.  I saw where one guy purchased some marine plywood, stained it to look like teak and used some cream colored pin stripe to replicate the holly, then covered it will 3 coats of varnish.  I might try that.








Tomorrow, I have a welder coming over to finalize my design for the stainless steel boat arch that will be used for my main sheet traveler.  Here is a drawing:




I was originally intending to mount the radar scanner on top as well, but even with the use of an 18" aft leaning mount, I think it was just not going to be high enough.  I will opt to put the scanner on the mast.  The arch will incorporate a bench seat to move guests out of the small cockpit area, a la Topcat catamaran.


Also ordered my trampoline net this week from Sunrise Yacht Products.  The one I have now is falling apart.



Here is what I ordered.













That's it for today














4 comments:

  1. Todd - isn't the berth storage areas, which will be used for water tanks where the centerboard/sideboard pivot pin is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The water rotomold tanks will be removable in case I need to access the pivot pin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're worried about those pins and access so that area is light storage for us. Our water tanks are under the fwd part of the aft bunks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. I am going to have a total of 3 tanks. 1 under each aft bunk and 1 in the forward port bunk. Not to say they will all be filled, but I am planning on keeping the shower head in the bathroom so I have the option of filling all three for that occasional trip to Catalina. The 2 water tanks on the port side will be interconnected with a shutoff valve between the two.

    ReplyDelete