Sunday, April 28, 2013

Passes the 5 Foot Test

Since I was having issues with brush marks, I opted to use the roll/roll method.  I have put down 3 coats on the raised cabin and part of the extended stern in preparation for the boat arch.  Its a toss up.  When I used the roll / tip method, I think I got a smoother finish, but with slight brush marks.  With the roll / roll method I got a slight texture, but no brush marks.  I think for the raised cabin, I am going to live with it.  As the title says, it passes the 5 foot test (looks good from 5 feet away).  I want to put one more coat of paint on the raised cabin and then I will install the windows and hatches.  I will experiment one more time with the brush on the next level down.  I really want the topsides to look better than the results I am getting now.

I took these photos a little late in the day.

This shot is to show the tarp I added to shield the sun to allow the paint to cure a little slower and have a better chance to level out.
















Five Foot Test?



































The original cabin roof will get a coat of non-skid.










Decided to tackle another project, while the paint dries.  I started building the chase for the electrical and motor control cables.




I tabbed two pieces of wood to the fiberglass since there is no other way to fasten it.  Then added a piece of 1/2" plywood.














Here is the strip of wood tabbed to the fiberglass.   You can see the patch job of the holes I filled in the gunwale.

This will all get covered with a thin piece of material from the top to bottom and ultimately covered with foam backed vinyl.










Another view looking straight on.













This shot shows after I added a second piece of plywood "floor".   This will all get boxed in.  I just want to be able to easily remove to get access as necessary.

Right now, it houses the two steering cables, 4 outboard throttle/gear cables, and 2 outboard cables for the electric starter.
I will also need to accommodate 2 battery cables and some small gauge wires for stern light, etc.  The existing small chase is still usable for the smaller wires.


Oh almost forgot.  I ordered 4 more quarts of Interlux Perfection.  I was shocked when the paint arrived as the color was Oyster White, not Snow White.  Evidently I checked the wrong box, when I placed the order on-line.  What is ironic, is that I had been contemplating changing the color, because the Snow White, was just too glaring.  Possibly a sub-conscience thing.  I used it for the last 3 coats, and I like it!  You really have to put the two colors side by side to tell the difference.  Three day weekend coming up.  Hope to keep making progress.








No comments:

Post a Comment