Saturday, May 11, 2013

Windows and Priming

Spent most of the week deliberating on whether to remove the existing windows or not.  If I removed them, I would have also looked into powder coating them black to match the new windows.  I was able to remove all of the bolts that hold the window in place, but the frame seems to be adhered to the boat pretty well.  I had visions of bending the frame and creating another problem.   Even thought others had removed theirs successfully, I decided to leave them in and work around them.


Here is a shot of the existing windows. I removed all of the caulk, or whatever that red bedding is.  The front runner for resealing/rebedding the glass is Dow 795 silicon sealant in a black color.











I am going to spray a self etching primer to prep the aluminum and then paint the frames a satin black.  This is the same color I used to paint the cabin top hatches.  I think they will match pretty well with my new windows on the raised cabin roof.   This will get done once the fiberglass, around it, is painted.











Speaking of which, I place a 2-part primer on this part of the boat today.  I have 2 quarts of the snow white left over, so I am going to use that for the first coat and then follow up with the oyster white.











After I applied the primer kote, I filled in all of the pin holes with the Interlux putty.   Mothers Day is tomorrow, so not sure if I will get much done.  Need to take some more time off of work!











BTW,  Interlux Perfection does not like moisture, so cover up your work if a dew is expected.  This happened to me after the paint had cured for about 6 hours.  The dew flattened the gloss to a dull finish.

The stainless steel arch is supposed to be done next week, so stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment