Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Mast is Risen

Well I decided to raise the mast to get it and all of the standing rigging out of the way so I could start the fairing and fiberglass repair on the cabin, deck and cockpit.


Once I started piecing all of the parts together, I started noticing things I was not too sure about.



This is one side of the boom with a large slot, likely to fit slugs on the foot of the sail.  I can't remember if my sail has slugs or a rope foot.  No need to worry, the other side of the boom has a smaller slot, that looks like it will accommodate a rope footed sail.















The next puzzle.  This is a shot near the chain plate for the shrouds.  There is an outer shroud that attaches at the top of the mast and an inner shroud that attaches just below the spreader.  What was confusing is that there was what appeared to me at first to be a 3rd shroud also attached just below the  spreader.  It had a block on the other end of it.  After doing some "asking", I now believe it to be a running back stay.  I learned something new.




After studying the "How to raise the mast" drawing put out by Sailcraft, I was successful in getting it done with the help of my son and one of his friends.  Was able to do it without a winch.  I just used a 6:1 purchase and the 3 of us pulled it up quite easily.   We just beat another shower, in fact we had pea size hail!





A shot from the front.




















and a closeup (blurry) shot to show the clearance between the cabin roof and the boom.  About 3 inches here.














At this level, the goose neck attachment is about 2 to 3 inches below the track opening where the sail slugs enter the mast track.  Time will tell if I need to modify the main sail.


















By the way, yesterday, this blog had exceeded the 2000 page view mark.  Incredible!



4 comments:

  1. Our boom is 2/3 inches higher than yours right at the bottom of the sail slug exit. This gives us standing headroom in the cockpit with the sail cover on. How much standing room do you have top to bottom in your new cabin? Also how is it to walk around in an Iroquois standing up straight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 6 foot headroom or 6'2" if you stand in the floor depression, but I plan to level that off when I put new flooring. Well being 5'6" tall, it is quite quite spacious! Is your main sail the same dimension as the original or did you shorten it to get the headroom in the cockpit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't shorten the sail but may have to modify the headboard to get enough sail hoist.

    ReplyDelete