Tuesday, May 28, 2013

4000 Views and Goodbye Gray

This week, my blog surpassed 4000 views.  Most likely the same 10 or so people! LOL.   In the midst of painting.


Here I am prepping the deck for a coat of prime-kote primer.  I sure have gone through a lot of this blue painter's tape on this project.

All hardware has been removed, except for the jib traveler.  I could not get any of the screws/bolts to budge, so I just taped it off and painted around it.









Alluding to the title of this post, all the gray has been painted over.  OK, the gray in the anchor locker is still there, but that will get a couple of coats of bilge paint when I get around to it.  It seems that most Iroquois were painted an offsetting color, so I am pretty sure the gray was original.  Oh well, not really my style.








If you recall, I deliberated between removing the existing window frames to  have them powder coated black to match the new windows or leave them and paint them insitu.

Well the picture answers the question.  The frames were not budging much, so I decided to leave them.  They are adhered pretty, well, so I don't think it is the route of any leaking.








Masking the frame was quite a tedious task.  I bet it took about 3 hours total, if not more!













Here is a shot after painting a self etching primer on the aluminum frame.  I ended putting 2 coats.













Same shot, just a close up.
















After a couple of coats of paint.  If you look closely you can see the masking coming away.  I am not sure if it is the "purple" painters tape (not 3M) that I bought at Home Depot or what, but the tape was not sticking with the wind beating at the brown paper.  Unfortunately this lead to quite a bit of overspray that I did not notice until I removed the masking.  It all came off with a bit of paint reducer.  So much for all that tedious work!







And the finished product.  I want to put a tint on the window at some point.













And from the side.  This angle kind of shows the black out effect I am going for.  I ended up applying 2-3 coats of black satin, but I did not think that it matched the new windows, which had a bit more gloss to it. So I went and bought a semi gloss black and applied 3 more coats.  Hopefully it will hold up for a while!








Didn't forget the screws.  I guess I could have gone out an bought some new black ones, but what the heck, Reuse, Recycle.  Laid the screws in a piece of Styrofoam and applied etching primer and a few coats of paint.





So now that my window frames are all black, I thought about how the chrome port holes would look.  The exterior frames were tarnished and would need re-chroming, so I decided to go ahead and paint them.  If I don't like it, I was still going to get them re-chromed.  We'll see.












For the rest of the week, I will continue with laying down the first of 3 coats of Interlux on the deck and cockpit.  In the coming weeks, the rest of the boat above the rub rail, will likely get one more coat of Interlux to meld everything together and finally, a non-skid will be applied.

I ordered some Dow 795 sealant for the old windows.  Hopefully I can get to that this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment