Saturday, May 18, 2013

Painting and Window (Port) Install

Friday morning I spent a few hours sanding in preparation for my first coat of paint on the lower cabin area.  I also started installing the windows on the raised cabin roof.  Around 10:30 I pulled myself away from the project to take my Ericson out for a sail.  Very nice day, 5-6 knots going and coming back.



Laid one coat of the Snow White paint, since I have half a gallon of it.  The next two coats will be Oyster White.













I purchased a badger hair brush to tip the paint.  It came out better than my first attempt at roll/tip, but the jury is still out as to if it is better than roll/roll method.  I did not use flattening agent with this coat.  I am pretty sure I am going to flatten the remaining coats.














I had some paint left over, so I decided to paint the storage lids.




















I did not use a primer, because I did not want to waste the paint, which only has a pot live of 4 hours.  It actually covered the gray paint pretty good.  Still need to fill in the defects and sand prior to the next coat.





















              New window installed.
























Shot of butyl tape oozing out.  Once I cut it back, I will tape off and apply some black Dow 795 sealant for a nice finish.





















Started installing foam backed vinyl "headliner".  The roof will get a PVC wainscot.














The liner is temporarily held in place with 3M spray adhesive.
















At some point, I will install teak molding.  This is a piece from the previous headliner.   I need to buy some more and varnish it.  Need to make a trip to the lumber yard soon!

I think I will wait and varnish the new molding at the same time I decide to varnish the teak rub rail and then install it.











With daylight savings time, I have been trying to do more after I get home from work.  I decided to paint the 2 forward storage lockers with bilge paint.  This is after 2 coats.  The plywood floors need one more coat.  I also wanted to get this done before I start wiring the navigation lights that will go on the hull.









Speaking of wiring, here is a small sampling of my wiring collection.  I have been buying wire at various boat rummage sales over the last year.  The West Marin store in Huntington Beach is going out of business, so I have been getting the bulk of the wire there.  The wire is now 75% off.  Just need to buy some heavy gauge wire for the head and fridge.  I may even buy some for a future windlass.  Because of the long run from the battery bank to the windlass, I will likely need some 2 AWG, which can be quite expensive.  May as well buy it now and install while the boat is accessible.

I have already run the 2 AWG from the battery area, through the chase and to the helm area.








Here is the electrical schematic I came up with.  I already bought the different color wire to match the colors on the schematic.




That's all for now!






No comments:

Post a Comment