Thursday, May 23, 2013

Boat Arch

My stainless steel boat arch was delivered today.  I am very happy with the work.  The cost.... well that is another thing!  Remember, B.O.A.T.  If you own a boat, you know what it stands for!


The main reason for the arch is to remove clutter from the cabin.

Here is a shot from aft.  The main sheet traveler will be placed on top of the arch.

I originally was going to put my radar scanner on top, but I wanted the top of the arch to go under the boom.








I incorporated a bench seat to move people out of the cockpit area and provide more seating.

I will likely use some plastic lumber in a teak color.  Probably slats similar to a park bench look.









I really like the forward slant of the arch.  I ended up going with 1.75" diameter tube.  Sturdy enough to add davits later, if I so choose.

It also provides a mass that I think balances out the mass of the raised cabin area.









You may have noticed in the previous picture that I got around to putting a primer coat in the cockpit area.  Prior to that, I added some vinylester resin to the channel that surrounds the cockpit floor.

The copper scupper holes are proud of the surrounding area by about 1/8".  This leaves standing water and debris.  So I decided to lay the resin in order to limit the amount of standing water.











This week I also placed an order for some teak veneer plywood and teak molding so I can make more progress on the interior.  What did I say about B.O.A.T.?  Oh well, at least I made it down to the West Marine store that is closing and got 75% off on some 8/2 AWG wire.  Bought 50 feet.  30 feet to run to the electric toilet in the head and 20 feet to run to the refrigerator in the galley.  I think I paid $.75 a foot.  I also bought 30 feet of 2 AWG for about $1.25 a foot.  Unfortunately all they had was red.  I bought that to run to the forward deck for a future windlass.

No comments:

Post a Comment