Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sole Prep Continued

Decided to make some progress on the sole.  The polyurethane I have has a 6 hour dry time between coats, so it makes sense to get that started while I work on other things.  I have the week of Thanksgiving off, so that is when I am likely to start the coating process.




This is the template I created for the main salon sole.  I am going to attempt to lay as big a sheet of plywood as I can.  It will take some maneuvering to get passed the settee table and under the settee, but I think I can do it.












Here is the template in the port hull. I am going to add more stringers to help support the plywood sole.


















I also decided to add more stringers to the depressed area to support the plywood.  To cut down on weight, I made a decision to go with 1/4" thick plywood.  The main salon is 4 feet wide plus the small area between the settee and the nav station, so there will be a joint there. Hopefully the plywood will be rigid enough to allow for a clean joint. Right now I am thinking of not using any adhesive on the plywood and simply using border base board to keep it down.  Time will tell if that will be sufficient.












Here is a shot of what the sandply (home depot) plywood looks like.  It has a very soft grain pattern, so hopefully it will not be too obvious after I lay down the pin stripes, that it is one piece of wood. This was $30 a sheet.  I anticipated using 3 sheets. In reality I ended up with 4 sheets since I did not take the time to lay out all of the templates at one time.  That is okay, two of the remnant sheets will allow me to double up on the thickness in the hull sections if needed, since I ripped out the existing sole leaving only the supporting "joists", I may need the extra stiffness.















Here is a close up of the plywood to show the grain pattern.  The 1/2" thick sandply had an even softer grain than this that I much prefer.

I was able to cut out all of the sections of the sole and they are now sitting waiting for stain and poly.


























I dry fit the facade for the electrical chase in the starboard berth.  This should clean up nicely once I trim out the edges with some "L" molding.

























No comments:

Post a Comment